Healthy Mind, Healthy Body, Healthy Choices

Edward Gostick, Staff Writer

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately one in five children are overweight in the United States. Obesity has become the number one concern in the US. One of the reasons is that more kids are spending time on video games and watching television, instead of going outside and exercising. Now with that being said, it is okay for people to spend time playing games, but there needs to be a balance. Another problem in the US is overeating. According to FOX News, one of the reasons for overeating is that restaurants over pile plates with food. They say people should look at the two Q’s, quantity and quality. Gisele Bündchen, wife of Tom Brady and supermodel, recently spoke to a group of people in the area about these issues.  She said that some ways to keep fit and healthy are to practice mindfulness, exercise, and eat healthy.

One good way to keep yourself healthy is eating the right food. San Francisco Gate (SF), news source for the San Francisco area says, “Aim to consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and unsaturated fats.” SF also explained that those who eat a well balanced diet reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. One good reason to eat vegetables is that they provide vitamins A and C. ‘’Cereal grains, like rice, corn and wheat, are the single biggest source of energy in the world,” according to nutrition researcher, Kris Gunnars. One way that Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen stay healthy is by substituting unhealthy food with healthy ones, like fruit for a dessert. People need to be more mindful of what they are eating and make better choices.

Regular exercise can help strengthen muscles.  Being active can also reduce the risk of a heart attack, cancer, high blood pressure, and other diseases. Exercise can be done in many different ways from sports to just biking with friends. It is recommended that you do at least 30 minutes of physical activities a day to keep you fit and healthy. Young adults should put the game controller down and get outside for a walk or head to the gym.

According to FOX News, mindfulness can help kids math by 15% because it helps students focus and lowers their stress.  Some ways to become more mindful are brain breaks and deep breathing. When I interviewed Gisele Bündchen, she said,  “When you are more present, life becomes more magical.  The breath is the gateway.  It’s your best friend.’’ The brain is like a muscle; it needs both exercise and rest.  Miss Bündchen also said, ‘’Meditation allows you to step out of the situation and gain perspective.”  Everyone would benefit from taking a break from the fast paces of life to focus on what really matters.

When we eat healthy, exercise, and are mindful, it makes us happier, safer, calmer, and more likely to succeed.