Coding at Trottier

Some of the members of Trottier’s Girls Who Code Club.

Natalie Kostiw, Staff Writer

Now going on three years, the sixth and seventh-grade girls from Trottier Middle School once again have the opportunity to join the Girls Who Code club. The group started its work in November and will end when the girls are done with their projects, which Mrs. Scordato says it should be around May or June.  

The students learn how to use block coding to create something that they believe can have an impact on people and their everyday lives. Block-based coding involves dragging “blocks” of instructions. The students can create an app or website. The girls use the skills they learn to help them make their products. Students that join will also learn about women in the industry.  

Girls Who Code originated in 2012 by Reshma Saujani, who noticed that girls were lacking in computer science classrooms when she visited schools during her run for the United States Congress. A parent from Southborough heard about this club and wanted to start one for girls in the community, but the parent couldn’t do it on his or her own. The parent needed someone to partner with, so Mrs. Scordato stepped in. Girls need to know how to code; in the computer field, there is a huge gap between the number of men and the number of women.  Mrs. Scordato said, “Being a woman, I feel like I want to support girls in being what they want to be; anything is possible.”

Girls Who Code meets once a week, and girls don’t need to have any experience with coding to join.  If the girls can’t go on Wednesday or just want to keep working on a project, they can ask Mrs. Scordato, and they can go on an alternate day.