Good Will Hunting: How You Like Them Apples?

Justin Meola, Staff Reporter

Good Will Hunting” is a drama released  in 1998 that takes place in south Boston directed by Gus Van Sant and written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. This movie was awarded two Academy Awards for best originscreen-shot-2016-11-14-at-8-50-31-amal screenplay and best supporting actor. It also received a 8.3/ 10 rating on IMDb.

Good Will Hunting is a movie about a janitor, Will Hunting, played by Matt Damon who is a mathematical genius. Despite his gift, he lives in poverty and spends his time evenly between batting cages and bars. He is almost always with his best friend Chucky, played by Ben Affleck. Will and his friends get into a fight, and when the police come, he gets arrested for assault  and assault on a police officer. This lands him in jail, until he gets an offer to work with a mathematics professor who saw him solve an extremely difficult math problem on the MIT campus. He also has to see a shrink until his twenty-first birthday. These are the conditions he needs to agree to if wants to stay out of jail. He then forms an unlikely bond with his shrink, Sean, played by Robin Williams.

The movie´s plot is wonderfully written and directed, which really makes the movie come to life on screen. The actors perfectly portrayed the characters they played. Casey Affleck, who played Morgan, almost completely made up his character through improv as he went through shooting the movie. This shows his talent
and his ability to be extremely creative. Along with this, Matt Damon and Robin Williams would even joke around with each other as their characters in between sets, which shows their ability to stay in character and how well they can portray their character. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were both born near or in Boston, which would make them more comfortable and believable because they actually lived there. The movie’s plot is fantastic and what makes the movie so good. The events are ordered in chronological order, which is more enjoyable to me than when the story is told out of order and in a confusing manner. The ending of the movie is perfect. It leaves you with some questions but perfectly ties back to a major event that happened earlier in the movie.

Overall, the movie is amazing and shows that sad things, such as being an orphan and abused and living in poverty, don’t define you.  One has choices, such as a good career, the woman you love, or your family. Despite this being a generally difficult topic to talk about, it ends in a way that left me with a sense of genuine happiness. The only problem I have with the movie is the character Gerald Lambeau, the MIT math professor.  The character is not a very important character and is narcissistic and arrogant. His character has very little effect on the movie´s resolution, and the only main thing he affects is Will getting out of jail.  Other than that, I think the movie is spectacular, and I would give it a 10/10 rating. I would recommend this movie to everyone; however, the topic and conflict is at times challenging to understand, especially for less mature viewers. However with a run time of only 126 minutes you have nothing to lose by watching this.