Power Nap: Energize The Exhausted Student

Abhay Singh , Staff Reporter

Science reinforces  the benefits of naps. Sleep.org has proven naps can recharge minds. The article states that naps boost alertness and improve motor performance, which is why you feel energized after taking one. Naps can help make new connections in the brain and can help in solving creative problems. It’s true! Naps benefit tired or sleepy students.

While a few studies indicate that naps can indeed benefit school learning, it remains unclear how best to use them.  Many students are currently struggling with managing the stress of extra homework, preparing for quizzes or tests, and participating in extra activities outside school. The busy schedules of students are making them exhausted. Because of these activities it is very hard for students to go to bed earlier, especially middle and high schoolers. A lack of sleep and starting school at 7:50 am makes it hard for students to focus and get good grades in class. A solution to this problem is to implement nap times at school. Some schools across the nation are doing something about this. Anton Anderson, an English teacher at Greenwich Connecticut High School decided to do something to help the waves of weary teens he was seeing every day. In 1988 he founded the Power Napping Club which allows students to nap for twenty minutes at the end of the day before going to extracurricular activities. Anderson states that, “Naps are not a substitute for getting eight to ten hours of nightly sleep, but it does recharge the batteries.”

I decided to get the opinions from our school community. Trottier Middle School 8th grade teacher, Mr. Basta, shared what he thinks about adopting a nap time. He said that it would require some adjustment to the normal school day, but he thinks a nap time for students could prove beneficial to student learning ,Basta added, “A tired brain is one that has the most difficulty learning.”

As the ealth teacher at Trottier Middle School,  Mrs Donfrancesco gave her opinions on the question. She said that it’s only going to work for students who take it serious and need it. “Personally I think it is a good thing for kids’ health and their learning,” she reported.

Science and teachers see the benefits of a nap time in school, but there are some problems. It is very to hard to adjust the school schedule and very difficult to convince the community to extend the school day and change bus times to create the time for naps. Also for this to be successful, kids would have to take it seriously. It is important to look beyond caffeine as a way students wake themselves in classes. Therefore, naps in middle and high schools  are becoming an important conversation, especially since recent research showed us naps provide fresh and focused minds, prevent kids from sleeping in classes and help students get better grades.