The Student News Site of Trottier Middle School

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

About Soccer

Lionel Messi leads Argentina to victory in the 2022 FIFA World Cup. (FIFA )

So, what is soccer?

Soccer, or football as it’s known outside of the US, is the most popular sport in the world. 

Basic Information

Soccer is a team sport played by a team of 11 players against another team of 11 players on a field. The team has one designated goalkeeper and 10 players that play upfield. The players that play upfield are defenders, midfielders, wingers, CDM (Central Defensive Midfielder), and, of course, strikers. It is known as soccer in America, but is called football in most of the rest of the world.

How many countries play soccer?

Soccer is the world’s most popular sport. It is played by over 250 million people in more than 200 countries. Soccer is very popular in Europe, Central and South America, and Africa, and also has a growing number of people playing in North America and Asia.

The objective of soccer

The point of the game is to move the ball up the pitch and beyond the goal line of your opponent’s goal. A standard game lasts 90 minutes, split into two halves of 45 minutes. The goal zone has two vertical poles (goalposts) and a horizontal bar connecting them (crossbar) and is placed in the middle of the goal line. For competitive and most recreational games, a net is connected to the posts and crossbar to stop the ball after it has crossed the goal line, mostly just to eliminate the hassle of getting the ball after someone scores.

Any of a team’s 11 players on the field can score a goal, which adds +1 to the team’s total amount of points. The team also gets a goal if an opponent puts the ball into their own goal by mistake. The team that scores the most goals in the 90 minutes wins the game. Regular games end at 90 minutes, even if the score is the same. In most competitions and the knockout stages of international club and national team competitions, 30 minutes of extra time is played, split into two halves of 15 minutes. If the scores are still the same after extra time, a penalty shootout takes place. In a penalty shootout, five players from each team take turns to score. If the scores are still the same after that, all the team’s remaining players step up for sudden death until there is a winner.

CITE:

Bundesliga. (2020, March 18). All you need to know about soccer. bundesliga.com – the official Bundesliga website. https://www.bundesliga.com/en/faq/all-you-need-to-know-about-soccer