The Student News Site of Trottier Middle School

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Gettin' Real with the Rams

Community Service Corner!

7th graders Patrick and Kyleigh T. raising the flag
Scarlett Spencer
Cara S. and Ella G. collecting recycling throughout the school.

“Why is community service required? This is so dumb! Kids shouldn’t be responsible for these duties.” Parents and students have very strong opinions on the community service requirements this year, but why? Some parents think kids shouldn’t do community service because kids these days are “irresponsible” or “not capable”, while some students just don’t see the point. 

Community service is actually helping people to become more responsible. Research shows that community service has a lifelong effect on kids and teens. As Booker T. Washington once said: Those who are the happiest are those who do the most for others.” It can teach kids so much about life and responsibilities that they need to have. Doing community service opens your eyes to see other people’s ways of life or meet new people who might be older, younger, or less fortunate. Trottier Middle School agrees with these statements because each grade at TMS is required to do community service. Eighth grade has to do eight hours, seventh grade has to do four hours, and sixth grade has two hours each school year. 

It can be hard for students to find opportunities in their community, but there are plenty of local service opportunities. A few options are Baypath Humane Society in Hopkinton, the senior center, and even some in the school. 

Baypath offers plenty of opportunities for young people to do. Starting with how people can raise money for them. Some ways to do that is returning cans or doing a bake sale.  Bay Path uses donations to buy toys and food for the dogs and cats. Along with that they have a wishlist of toys for the animals. Baypath also shares that another opportunity is to make posters about the pets that are up for adoption and then post them around town. There is a more information on their website (www.baypathhumane.org) under get involved. 

The Southborough Senior Center is also a great way to gain community service hours. Students can go in to be a volunteer on school vacations or create activities for the seniors. If interested, contact at www.southboroughsentiors.com with ideas and volunteer to help in the building.  

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi